You are here

Master's Programs Registration Guidelines

During the academic year (Autumn, Winter, and Spring quarters) all supported graduate students must register for at least 10 credits. This is a University requirement, and cannot be waived except by petition to the Graduate School. In addition, supported Master's students in Mathematics must register for three graded courses applicable to their degree requirements. Ordinarily, this should include at least one 500-level course each quarter during the first year, three each quarter during the second year. With the advisor's approval, registration for three credits in Math 600 (Independent Study) may be substituted for one of the three graded courses. In addition, students who have completed three full quarters of graduate study may, with their advisor's approval, register for up to 10 credits of Math 700 (Master's Thesis) in lieu of one or more courses. Other exceptions require the approval of the Graduate Program Coordinator.

Courses can be added or dropped freely through the end of the first week of classes in a quarter. After the end of the first week, fees will be charged for any adds or drops. Courses may still be added during the second and third weeks, by obtaining an entry code from the Student Services Office, Padelford C-36. Courses may be dropped during the second week of classes; after the end of the second week, each student may drop only one course per year, up to the end of the seventh week of classes. For more information, see the University's Web pages on Registration Eligibility, Registration Restrictions, Academic Calendar, Course Drop Periods, and Course Add Periods.

Quarterly Planning

All students must meet with their advisor each quarter to discuss their course schedule for the quarter and to obtain the advisors' signatures on the form entitled "Quarterly Plan." Copies of this form are available in the Student Services Office, Padelford C-36; it must be turned in with the advisor's signature by the end of the fifth class day of the quarter.

The designated core graduate courses (currently 504/5/6, 524/5/6, 534/5/6, and 544/5/6) are worth 5 credits, and all other regular Math courses are worth 3 credits. Thus any student taking three courses including at least one core course already has the required 10 credits. Students taking three 3-credit courses will need to sign up for at least one more credit to bring the total up to 10. Master's students may register for any of the following to obtain the additional credit; for most Master's students, the most appropriate option would be one or more credits of 600B in conjunction with a three-credit course.

Variable Credit Course Options

  • Math 700 (Master's Thesis). Permission of the advisor must be obtained in advance of registration. Note that at least 9 credits of 700 are required to obtain a Master's degree with thesis.
  • Math 600A (Supervised Independent Study and Research). Permission of the instructor must be obtained in advance of registration. If you wish to take a reading course with a faculty member, this is the course for which to register.
  • Math 600B (Supplemental Reading and Research in Connection with a Mathematics Course). Permission of the instructor must be obtained.
  • Math 600C (Independent Study). You should see your advisor before signing up for this in order to discuss a plan of independent study, which may include regular visits to the library to check out books and journal articles in your field of interest. Credit/no credit only. You will be asked to submit a short report (no more than a page) describing the activities you engaged in.
  • Credit-bearing seminars. These usually carry numbers of the form 5x0, and are offered credit/no credit only. If you sign up for a credit seminar, be sure to contact the seminar organizer at the beginning of the quarter to find out what will be required for credit. Typical requirements include regular attendance, writing up one or more seminar reports, and/or giving a seminar talk. A list of currently-offered seminars will be publicized each quarter.

For courses requiring entry codes, the codes can be obtained in the Student Services Office, Padelford C-36.