This page provides information for declared math major International students interested in participating in curricular practical training (CPT).
Students on F-1 visas should first review the UW ISS website regarding the CPT process. If you have questions about the process, contact your ISS adviser. https://iss.washington.edu/employment/f1-employment/cpt/
• The MATH/ACMS Advising Office will not review internships or job postings for CPT authorization before you have been offered the position. You should carefully evaluate your eligibility and the required criteria BEFORE you apply to opportunities.
• The Math Department does not make exceptions regarding eligibility requirements. Applicants who do not meet the requirements will be denied.
• The CPT process will take approximately 3 weeks from when you submit the Math Department CPT request form to obtaining work authorization. If applicable, ask your prospective employer to postpone your start date.
• Do not fill out the UW ISS CPT request form until you receive approval from the Math Department.
Minimum requirements to be eligible for CPT request in Mathematics:
• Be a declared MATH major at the time you are requesting CPT. For example, if you are admitted to the program during autumn quarter, you will be a declared math major effective winter quarter.
• Complete MATH 300 and MATH 327*
• Have made satisfactory progress in all quarters as a math major (see Continuation Policy)
• Must be enrolled in the quarter of the opportunity or be enrolled the quarter immediately following in order to register for the required CPT departmental course credit.
*MATH 327 is required for CPT eligibility, even if it is not a specifically required course for your major-option.
Major and Content-Specific Criteria
Your curricular practical training needs to be integral to your major. Therefore, you must carefully read the specific criteria below and determine if your training matches the criteria listed. On the Math CPT request form, you will be asked to justify each criteria.
Major Specific Criteria
The CPT request form will ask you to explain how the training experience relates to the following major specific criteria:
- Critical Thinking
- Deductive Reasoning
- Mathematical Logic
- Communicating Mathematical Ideas
Content Specific Criteria
The CPT request form will ask you to include a description of how the training experience relates to one of the following content-specific areas:
Required Employer Information
The CPT request form will require you to include a detailed training description from your employer. The description must be written on the company’s letterhead, be addressed to you, include a job title, provide a detailed job description (minimum a few sentences describing specific duties), the street address where employment will take place, number of hours you will work per week and the start and end dates of the CPT employment.
Depending on the timing of your internship, you will either complete assignments during your internship or in the quarter immediately following completion of the internship. If your CPT is approved, you will receive information about course registration.
If you have read and understand the information necessary to apply for CPT, proceed to the google form.