General Minor information:
- Students wishing to pursue the math minor should wait to declare the minor until they complete all coursework. After you have completed the minor, you should see your home department to declare the minor.
- The courses for the minor often have many registration restrictions that prioritize majors, making it extremely difficult to complete the final credits needed for the minor.
- Math minors should not plan to take their final upper-division math course during winter or spring quarter. There are no courses available, unless the student has completed the math major course prerequisite, which is typically completed the summer quarter before.
- We do not make exceptions to the registration restrictions listed on the time schedule. A minor who chooses to attend a course listed as “majors only” in Period III registration cannot expect to get a seat even if space opens up.
- Course substitutions are not allowed. Only courses coded or co-listed with "MATH" are allowed.
- All coursework requires a minimum grade of a 2.0.
Please see our registration information page for additional information about course availability and registration options: https://math.washington.edu/registration-information
Requirements Effective Autumn 2021
Minimum 30 credits
- Core (18-20 credits): MATH 124 or MATH 134, MATH 125 or MATH 135, MATH 126 or MATH 136; and MATH 300 or MATH 334.
- Electives (10-12 credits): mathematics courses numbered 301 or higher.
- At least 9 credits of courses numbered 301 or higher taken in residence through the UW. Minimum 2.0 grade required for each course offered as part of the minor.
Note: Math 307, Math 308, Math 309, Math 324 cannot count towards the 9 credits of courses numbered 301 or higher since they are being renumbered to 200-level courses.
Declared Math minor prior to Autumn 2021
- Core (24-25 credits): MATH 124, MATH 125, MATH 126, MATH 307*, MATH 308*, and MATH 309*; or MATH 134, MATH 135, and MATH 136 (25 credits, including 10 advanced-placement credits)
- Electives (6 credits): mathematics courses numbered 301 or higher
- At least 9 credits of MATH courses numbered 301 or higher taken in residence through the UW. Minimum 2.0 grade required for each course offered as part of the minor.
*Students declared in the math minor prior to Autumn 2021 may use Math 207, Math 208 and Math 209 where Math 307, Math 308, and Math 309 are required respectively.