You are here

Applying International Graduate Students

An international applicant is one who is not a US citizen and does not hold a US Permanent Resident Visa ("green card" or "immigrant"). This definition also includes students who hold US visas, such as F-1 students, J-1 exchange visitors, H1-B, or any other non-immigrant classifications. International applicants need to provide evidence of English language proficiency.

There are two issues related to English language proficiency:

These memos (Graduate School Memo #8 and Memo #15) are summarized below, and you can find the full details by following the links.

Requirements for Admission to the University

To satisfy the English language proficiency requirements to be admitted to the university, you must have either

  • a bachelor's, master's, or doctoral degree from an institution in an English-speaking country (see Memo #8 for the official list) or
  • a score of 92 on the TOEFL-iBT

Applying for Financial Support

Almost all of our graduate students are supported through teaching assistantships. To qualify, you need to satisfy the above and also have either

  • a bachelor's degree from an accredited US institution, or
  • a score of at least 26 on the speaking section of the TOEFL-iBT

If you have a score of 23-25 on the speaking section of the TOEFL, then if you are admitted, you may take the VERSANT test after you arrive. With a sufficiently high score, you are qualified to teach. Otherwise, you will be required to enroll in and pass English 105. In order for your financial support to be renewed for your second year, you will need to pass the spoken English requirement no later than the end of Winter Quarter of your first year in the program.

If you have a lower score on the TOEFL (22 or below on the speaking portion, 91 or below total on the TOEFL), this will greatly hurt your chances of being accepted to the program with support.

Competitive applicants will submit an official TOEFL score, even if you have a Master's degree from an accredited U.S. institution.

The Graduate School FAQ for International Students may also be helpful.