The University of Washington Math Department welcomes visiting graduate students from other universities. Students can be accepted into this status only if they are in good standing and actively pursuing a graduate degree at another accredited academic institution, and plan to transfer a limited number of credits back to their home institution. See the UW Graduate School Web page on Visiting Graduate Students for more information. The application procedure for Visiting Graduate Student status is somewhat different from applying as a regular graduate student.
How to Apply
Materials to be Submitted Online
Complete the regular University of Washington Application for Admission to Graduate School online, and pay the nonrefundable application fee. When asked to select a graduate program, be sure to select Visiting Graduate. When asked to select a specific area of interest, enter Mathematics.
Materials to be Mailed to UW Graduate Admissions
Graduate Enrollment Management Services
University of Washington
301 Loew Hall, Box 352191
3920 Stevens Way
Seattle, WA 98195-2191
All Visiting Graduate Applicants:
- A transcript from your current graduate school.
- A personal statement of about 200 to 300 words describing your current educational and professional objectives (a form for this purpose is included with the application materials above).
- A list of advanced math courses beyond the level of elementary calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra that you will have taken, together with the instructor, school, year, text, grade, and a brief description of the content of each.
International Visiting Graduate applicants:
- An official TOEFL score report (sent to institution code 4854, department code 72).
- Completed Statement of Financial Ability. (Once you have submitted your application online, you must log back into the online application to access the form.)
Visiting Graduate applicants do not need to mail anything to the Mathematics Department; instead, everything is to be sent directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions. It is not necessary to submit GRE scores, letters of recommendation, or the Math Department application form.
Ordinarily, visiting graduate students, like regular graduate students, should begin in Autumn Quarter. The application deadline for those not requesting financial support is July 1; if you request financial support, the deadline is January 1. (Be aware, however, that financial support is seldom available to visiting grad students.)
In special circumstances, visiting graduate applicants may be accepted to begin in quarters other than Autumn. The deadlines for other quarters are as follows:
Winter Quarter - November 1
Spring Quarter - February 1
Summer Quarter - May 15