It is important to read all directions carefully before proceeding with your graduate school application. Since all entry-level graduate courses are yearlong sequences beginning in the autumn, applications for admission are normally accepted only for Autumn Quarter. The application website opens around the beginning of September for admission the following autumn. All application materials must be received electronically by January 1 to be considered for admission for the following autumn quarter with financial support.
Deadline for applications requesting financial support:
January 1, 2019
Applications for admission without support will be accepted until July 1, but we may have filled all available spots before then, so even if you don't want support, it is a good idea to submit your application by January 1.
Please go to the following web page to proceed with your online application:
While completing the online application, all applicants will be asked to submit the following:
- Unofficial Transcripts: Information regarding all prior undergraduate and graduate institutions attended, including unofficial transcripts from the relevant institutions. (Admitted applicants must provide official transcripts.)
- Application Questions: You will be asked a series of question about your goals and background. You can download the questions here.
- Letters of Recommendation: You will be asked to enter the names and contact information (affiliation, email, phone), for at least three letters of recommendation and to then activate requests for the letters of recommendation.
- Advanced Mathematics Courses: Upload, (in PDF format), a detailed list of all mathematics courses beyond the level of elementary calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra that you have taken or will take before you begin graduate work at the University of Washington. For each course include the following information:
- Course number and title
- Grade obtained (for completed courses)
- Title and author of textbook(s) used
- Material covered (about as much information as would appear in a college catalogue.)
- Mathematical Background Questionnaire: This questionnaire asks detailed information about your mathematical background.
- Resume or CV: Upload a PDF to the application website.
- Official GRE Scores: The results from the GRE General Test (for all applicants) and GRE Math Subject Test (for PhD applicants). Arrange for ETS to electronically send the official scores directly to UW using Institution Code 4854. (Department code is not required.) In order for your scores to arrive on time, you need to complete the test no later than December 15th. Once your application is submitted, the official scores should appear within 48 hours.
- Application Fee: There will be an application fee required to process your application by the University of Washington Graduate School Admissions Office. You must pay on-line to be able to declare your application complete.
International applicants who are not native English speakers must also provide:
TOEFL Scores: Please request ETS to electronically send official TOEFL scores to the University of Washington using Institution Code 4854. Please see International Applicants for details regarding the English proficiency requirements for Graduate Admission and TA Appointments.