It is important to read all directions carefully before proceeding with your graduate school application. All application materials must be received electronically by January 1 to be considered for admission for the following autumn quarter.
Deadline: January 1, 2018
Please go to: Application to UW Graduate School to proceed with your online application.
While completing the online application, all applicants will be asked to submit the following:
- Unofficial Transcripts: Information regarding all prior undergraduate and graduate institutions attended, including unofficial transcripts from the relevant institutions. (Admitted applicants must provide official transcripts.)
- Statement of Purpose: A Statement of Purpose consisting of about 200 to 300 words (as an uploaded PDF) detailing your reasons for wishing to enter graduate school in mathematics, your plans for the future, and any other information about your educational and professional objectives that may be relevant to your application.
- Letters of Recommendation: You will be asked to enter the names and contact information (affiliation, email, phone), for at least three letters of recommendation and to then activate requests for the letters of recommendation.
- Personal History Statement: (for domestic applicants only): a Personal History Statement, describing how experiences within your personal history (family, educational, cultural, and economic background) have influenced your intellectual development, interests, career plans, and goals. Responses should be no more than two pages in length. (Uploaded as a PDF.)
- Advanced Mathematics Courses: Upload, (in PDF format), a detailed list of all mathematics courses beyond the level of elementary calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra that you have taken or will take before you begin graduate work at the University of Washington. For each course include the following information:
- Course number and title
- Grade obtained (for completed courses)
- Title and author of textbook(s) used
- Material covered (about as much information as would appear in a college catalogue.)
- Mathematical Background Questionnaire: This questionnaire asks detailed information about your mathematical background.
- Resume or CV : Upload a PDF to your application.
- Official GRE Scores: The results from the GRE General Test and GRE Math Subject Test (for Ph.D. applicants). Arrange for ETS to electronically send the official scores directly to UW using Institution Code 4854. In order for your scores to arrive on time, you need to complete the test no later than December 15th. Once your application is submitted, the official scores should appear within 48 hours.
- Application Fee: There will be an application fee required to process your application by the University of Washington Graduate School Admissions Office. You must pay on-line to be able to declare your application complete.
International applicants must also provide:
- TOEFL Scores: Please request ETS to electronically send official TOEFL scores to the University of Washington using Institution Code 4854. Please see International Applicants for details regarding the English proficiency requirements for Graduate Admission and TA Appointments. Competitive applicants will submit an official TOEFL score, even if you have a Master's degree from an accredited U.S. institution. See the University of Washington Memo 15 for additional details.