It is important to read all directions carefully before proceeding with your graduate school application. All application materials must be received electronically by January 1 to be considered for admission for the following autumn quarter.
Deadline: January 1
The application is currently closed for editing and will be available September 1.
Starting September 1, please go to: Application to UW Graduate School to proceed with your online application.
While completing the online application, all applicants will be asked to submit the following:
- Unofficial Transcripts: Information regarding all prior undergraduate and graduate institutions attended, including unofficial transcripts from the relevant institutions. (Admitted applicants must provide official transcripts.)
- Statement of Purpose: A Statement of Purpose consisting of about 200 to 300 words (as an uploaded PDF) detailing your reasons for wishing to enter graduate school in mathematics, your plans for the future, and any other information about your educational and professional objectives that may be relevant to your application.
- Personal History Statement (Optional, for domestic applicants): a Personal History Statement, describing how experiences within your personal history (family, educational, cultural, and economic background) have influenced your intellectual development, interests, career plans, and goals. Responses should be no more than two pages in length.
- Supplemental Form: The Mathematics Department's Supplemental Form (PDF), is a fillable PDF document detailing your advanced mathematical experience and background, including a list of advanced math courses beyond the level of elementary calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra that you have taken.
- GRE Scores: The results from the GRE General Test and GRE Math Subject Test (for Ph.D. applicants). Arrange for ETS to electronically send the official scores directly to UW using Institution Code 4854.
- Letters of Recommendation: You will be asked to enter the names and contact information (affiliation, email, phone), for at least three letters of recommendation and to then activate requests for the letters of recommendation.
- Application Fee: There will be a $85 application fee required to process your application by the University of Washington Graduate School Admissions Office. You must pay on-line to be able to declare your application complete.