- Call to Order
- Mathday – Jim Morrow
- Graduate Student Survey – Dan Pollack
- Faculty Senate – Max Lieblich
- Committee Reports
- New Business
- Executive Session
The regular meeting of the faculty of the Department of Mathematics was held in C-36 Padelford Hall at 3:30 PM, January 25, 2018. Ron Irving, Chair, presided at the meeting. Rose Choi was recording secretary.
Professor Irving announced that a budget shortage in the College will lead to a 1.5% cut being implemented by each department. Retiring faculty are not considered in this reduction. A proposed solution of TA budget cuts was raised.
Professor Morrow announced that a new venue has been selected for this year’s Mathday. Fifteen lectures are to be held in Kane Hall with Steve Klee as the plenary speaker. More volunteers are needed this year as attendance has been growing.
Graduate Student Survey
Professor Pollack has set up a catalyst survey regarding 1st year graduate courses. The deadline is for two weeks but can be extended if needed.
Professor Lieblich relayed that three bills are being fast-tracked for legislation:
- A bill that would create a faculty Regent position at the UW and WSU.
- A bill for financial aid for medical students and graduate students in health care fields. It would offer access to Opportunity Scholarships to medical students and students in graduate health care programs who agree to provide service in rural areas of the state.
- The capital budget bill and the necessary bonds bill. The bonds for the state capital budget will need strong bipartisan support for the bonds component, which requires a supermajority.
There is also the issue of a “fund split,” or the amount of the salary increase funded by tuition versus state appropriation. A 50/50 split is being requesting to help with raises next year.
Lastly, Mark Richards of UC Berkeley has been selected as the new Provost.
There being no new business, the meeting passed into executive session at 4:35pm.