- Call to Order
- Planning Committee - Paul Smith
- Committee Reports
- Graduate Program Committee: Changes to our Prelims system - John Palmieri
- New Business
- Executive Session
The regular meeting of the faculty of the Department of Mathematics was held in C-36 Padelford Hall at 3:30 PM, April 3, 2018. Ron Irving, Chair, presided at the meeting. Rose Choi was recording secretary.
Professor Irving announced the recent promotions of Soumik Pal to Professor, Thomas Rothvoss to Associate Professor, and Jonah Ostroff to Senior Lecturer.
Proposals for the next round of hires have been received and a draft of the Priorities Statement will be circulated via email. There will be an open meeting on April 24th where faculty may voice their opinions regarding the Statement prior to the official vote on May 1st.
Graduate Program Committee
The following changes to the current preliminary exam system were proposed:
- Exams will be created by three people instead of two. Among them will be the current instructor of the course or other expert to help guide the author and the GPC. This should help reduce the potential for errors in future exams. The first draft will be available August 1st with the final copy on September 1st. This will take effect this summer.
- A second opportunity will be made available to 2nd year students to retake the exam during Spring break.
- Old exams may be used to aid in drafting the prelims.
A vote was held for adding a Spring prelim with the results being 10 in favor, 0 against, and 3 abstaining.
There being no new business, the meeting passed into executive session at 4:11pm.