- Call to Order
- Chair's Remarks
- UWFT - Munz
- Committee Reports
- Grad Admissions Committee - Koblitz
- New Business
- Executive Session
The regular meeting of the faculty of the Department of Mathematics was held virtually via Zoom at 3:30pm PST, May 2, 2023. John Palmieri, Chair, presided at the meeting. Rose Choi was recording secretary.
The meeting began with approval of the previous meeting’s minutes.
The end-of-quarter beer bash will be held on June 9th at 3:30pm in HUB 145. Please attend if you can.
As some of you may know, there is a 5-year limit on postdocs at UW (this includes time spent at previous institutions). However, the new vice provost of academic personnel is open to requests for exceptions during any stage of their hire.
Gradescope will be fully covered by the College.
Mike Munz updated the faculty on the timeline and blackout deadlines for the upcoming UW Financial Transformation cutover. With less than two months to go before the Workday Finance go-live (July 1), please keep the following in mind:
- Internal reimbursements should be submitted to Pam (travel) and Mike by June 13
- External reimbursements/payments (non-UW) should be submitted to Mike by May 31
- Requests made after these deadlines will be processed after July 5th
- Notify Mike as soon as possible if you anticipate bulk supply needs
- Active PIs are automatically assigned the security role “Principal Investigator (Grants)”. Training videos have been emailed via UW Bridge.
The Graduate Admissions Committee (Koblitz, Drouot, Garner, Hoffman, R Liu, Pezzoli, Rothvoss, Shi, Steinerberger, Zhang) would like to thank everyone who helped with this year’s recruitment.
There were 396 applicants with an entering class of 18 students plus a deferred student from last year (out of 53 initial offers and 30 waitlisted). Three will enter with external support and 15 will receive TAships.
The campus visits were quite successful and many of the prospectives enjoyed their discussions with the faculty and grad students.
There being no new business, the meeting passed into executive session at 4:01pm.